Cyprus is now one of the safest countries in the world. That’s according to a ValuePenguin ranking that analyzed 107 different nations. The island country – located in Eastern Mediterranean – posed an outstanding challenge to well-known heavyweights in global safety indices, outdoing countries such as Denmark and Germany. Cyprus came fifth behind Switzerland, Singapore, Spain, and Japan.
ValuePenguin analyzed seven different data categories (population, CO2 emissions, life expectancy, the number of police personnel per 100,000 people, thefts, assaults and traffic deaths). Interestingly, the study notes that Cyprus is the third largest island in the world. There were 111 thefts per 100, 000 people in Cyprus, and 466 police officers per every 100,000 residents. Cyprus had 16 crimes per 100 thousand people, which is an impressive reading compared to most other countries in the world.
Top 5 Safest Countries in the World
Top 4 Countries
Switzerland, which was ranked number one overall, had just 7 crimes per 100 thousand people. The country exhibited an impressive level of security on a day to day basis. Singapore, the runners-up, had 15 crimes per 100 thousand people. Spain (ranked third) had 37 crimes for the same demography, while Japan came in fourth with 51 crimes for every 100,000 people.
Unity in Cyprus
It’s important to note that Cyprus has been split into two since 1974. But in the last couple of years, there has been a significant effort to unite the nation.
Living in Cyprus
Cyprus is often regarded as a globally competent immigration destination. Here are a few of the most outstanding reasons why.
- Low crime – the country’s low levels of crime means that residents generally feel safe.
- Weather – Cyprus weather is mostly very stable, characterized by long-lasting, fun summers.
- Taxation – for immigrant investors, Cypriot tax system is quite low compared to most other nations around the world. Important to note, there’s also a very high threshold before you start paying income tax.
- Language – nearly everyone in the country speaks English. Greek is a common language, and an increasing proportion of the population also speaks Russian. This makes the country a truly multi-language destination. That probably explains why there are multiple expat communities in Cyprus.
- Beaches – on multiple occasions, Cyprus beaches have been voted amongst the best in Europe.
- EU Membership – the country is a member of the European Union. That means that Cypriot residents can travel, work and trade freely with EU member states.
Gaining Cypriot Citizenship
In addition to being one of the safest countries in the world, Cyprus has one of the most successful citizenship-for-investment programs in the world. Cypriot passport was ranked 17th most powerful passport in the world in 2016 by Henley & Partners 2016 Visa Restriction Index. The country’s strategic location on the map, its language dynamics, pretty cool political environment and friendly business environment makes it a preferred destination for wealthy families from China, Russia, and other parts of the world. There’s an increasingly popular real estate option for individuals looking to live in Cyprus.
Read our article – Fast-track Citizenship in Cyprus with Luxury Real estate
- You have a question? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our contact page
- View Citizenship & Residency comparison
- Most Powerful Passports in the World – 2016 Ranking